Friday, August 31, 2018

Following Mercies

Psalms 23:6

NKJV
“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Gods mercy follows me, for all of the days of my life. Both those days where I walked not with Him, and while I now do. His mercy has gone after me and covered all those things which I have done out of the evil of my heart. I have no reason to fear that what I have done in the past will bite and devour me in the present or future. God's mercy has covered it in the blood of Jesus. Had God not been merciful, I would not have ever received salvation. God's mercy is pivotal to my life. I have not received that which I deserve because of it, but rather I've been given abundantly more than I deserve. This abundance is a declaration of God's goodness. When I look back at the things Jesus has covered in His blood, I can clearly see the goodness of the Lord there too. Others will be able to look at my life and hear my testimony and glorify God because of who He is and what He’s done. From the perspective of a sheep, as this is written, they are able to look back in humble adoration of their wonderful shepherd who has always been there not only to help and heal, but forgive, bless, and to show compassion. They have the confidence of blessing in this life and the next, for they know that they will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

His mercy also goes before me, for my Shepherd leads me and He is merciful, preparing the best and safest way for my passage. Whatever I'm fearing in the future where I'm in need of mercy, I can rest assured that I’ll meet it there. I can have faith, the assurance of things not yet seen. Though I don't see it now, I can believe and trust that it's already taken care of. There are so many thoughts to take captive into the obedience of Christ each day, and fears of the future are one of them. God hasn’t given us a spirit of fear, and we can be sure that Gods goodness and mercy is greater than our fears of the future. Lately my vision of our God as a Father has been growing, and I'm learning to appreciate more and more his role as a Father. Psalms 103:13 says “As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear Him.” This is a wonderful promise, and by Gods grace we can attain and claim it as our own, and become children of God who fear Him.

The feelings of fear of the future which we harbor in the docks of our heart can be paralyzing in our walks with God. Let us take encouragement from this “Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!” (Psalms 27:14) While the waves crash, rest in the fact that our beloved Saviour is walking on the water towards us, and the word will soon be spoken to calm our tempestuous hearts.

Love will never let us go. God has a firm grip on your life and mine, His love will never fail us and His mercy joyously follows us! Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment