Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Climb

2 Corinthians 5:7

NKJV
“For we walk by faith, not by sight.”

The process of sanctification is not a walk through peaceful meadows near quiet streams. It is a climb.There are trials, perils, dangers, tribulations, hurts, uncertainties, fears, anxieties, and impossible situations. There are so many evils that Satan, and ourselves, put before us. Not every situation we face is a result of the work of Satan, as Jobs was. More often than not I will get myself into my own trouble by the misguided decisions I make, and I have none to blame but me. My soul can easily become downcast with one foul step to the left or to the right. Spending too long fixing my eyes on what lies off the path will draw me right off the path. There are so many enemies that lie along the path that I'm amazed that I'm actually where I am and not elsewhere living for myself and the world. The many distractions and cares of the world, the lusts of the flesh and eyes, the pride of life, the Devil who snatches away that which God scatters. There is none who gets the credit but God for what's been done to save my life. I had to lose it first before I gained it, but what was lost is not worthy to be compared to what was gained. The promise of life eternal. Let us not forget that which we pass through on the way to heaven though. The climb of sanctification. We do have the promise of eternal life, of a heavenly citizenship and home, but we also have life as we know it in the middle. Death lies behind us, eternal life ahead, and just.. life here. There is a constant groaning within to be further clothed with life, and to put off mortality, because we know what we are living is not the true destination of our souls state. The daily routine is a struggle, to say the least, with all that we know we can do better at. God promises that He uses that all for good though. Each step we take towards becoming an image of Jesus Christ is one of faith. There is no step we take towards the kingdom of God but that which is by faith. We cannot see heaven now, we do not see Jesus now, God does not walk on earth nor us in heaven now. As we take the steps, we are tested. Some steps are massive, those ones which look impossible, that defy all human logic. Steps like Peter made upon the water. Other steps are not so humanly big, such as prayer, or doing an act of love in the name of Jesus. But, it is all done by faith, and all of it brings us closer to Jesus. Something I have learned too is that Jesus is always there to catch us when we fall, and give us a boost on those steps which are beyond our ability (which truly is all of them, for Jesus said we can do nothing apart from Him). Even when we cannot sense His presence, His right hand is there supporting us. That is what I trust in, what has proved reliable, what will never fail me. The upholding hand of a faithful God, who is there for me as I walk by faith and not by sight.
Although it may not be a climb with peaceful meadows near quiet streams, we can have the quietness of those places in our souls, and that peace is in Jesus. We must give our cares, our anxieties, our burdens and our yokes unto Him. He will take it from us and give us rest for our souls. Though the climb may be hectic, our soul will not be, for we will abide in Christ as we walk by faith, not by sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment