Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Through The Centuries

Matthew 25:46

KJV
“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”

God has an awesome, perfect way of bringing promises to pass, and fulfilling Scripture exactly in the lives of those who He loves and love Him. According to Matthews gospel, these were the final words of Jesus. However, from the Gospel of John His final words were recorded as being “It is finished.” Nonetheless, what God had spoken centuries earlier through the lamenting words of David in Psalm 22 came to be spoken by the Son of God in His hour of darkness. The crucifixion and events leading to it reflect from Psalm 22. The exact words which Jesus breathed out before He gave up His spirit were written in Psalm 22:1, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” The way He was treated is all reflected within Psalm 22. It may have been centuries later, but what David wrote became a reality in the death of Christ. What God spoke, God fulfilled.
What can this mean for me? Quite a few different things. First off, through Christ being forsaken, I never will be. The promise “I shall never leave thee nor forsake thee” is mine to claim. Christ was separated from His father, and knew the darkness we for so long lived in on the other side of the veil, apart from His presence and light. I have a friend in Christ who can identify with and help me in my own dark hours, when everything around me screams that I'm defeated. Yet, Christ knew, and I do as well, that what the world calls defeat is only an opportunity for victory. The only thing which was defeated on the cross was defeat itself. Death was destroyed, and life was brought forth eternally. When the veil was torn, my fellowship with God was signed, sealed and delivered to me through Calvary. The veil is described as being torn from top to bottom. There is a deep significance to this. From the heights of heaven, to the depths of hell, I can never be separated from God. A Pslamist once wrote that even if I were to lay my bed in hell, God would be there with me. Whether I'm in the highest of spirits, or lowest of spirits in my life, I can come boldly to the throne of God, I can dwell and abide in His presence. I have unrestricted access at any point in my life.

Secondly, the earth was shaken and the rocks were split. Both of these things are representative of what only God can do. Who besides God can shake the earth? Who besides God can split a rock without laying a finger on it? None. This is a wonderful thing, for it shows that what we cannot seem to shake off in our life; sin, guilt, shame, fear, anxieties, uncertainties, can all be shaken off through the death of Christ. The hard things in our life, or the hardness of our hearts, can also be split in two, shattered, by the victory of Christ. There is nothing too hard for God, for He is the God of the impossible. What are the rocks in my life? What areas am I hardened in? What can I just not seem to shake off in my own strength? These questions must be asked, and the answers can be boldly brought to God to be dealt with properly. Whatever it is, it's guaranteed to be broken. Jesus said so when he declared “It is finished.” All that's left for us to do is hold the promises, to declare them in prayer over our lives, to shout out the victory over the powers of sin and death in our life. Some take time to be fulfilled, just like David's psalm, but rest assured it will be done.

Lastly, the tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised. There are hidden qualities and gifts in us which God will raise up at the appropriate time, in the right season. Things we never imagined doing or being will spring up from within us as the Holy Spirit works in us. The saintly qualities we yearn to acquire will all of a sudden pour forth from our lives as we seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. Fruit does take time to bear, but it's a truth rooted deeply in testimony that the fruit will come when we seek God. The struggle is persistence, the struggle is consistency, the struggle is self-discipline, the struggle is the war between the flesh and Spirit, when so much is trying to keep us from seeking God, but our Spirit yearns to seek Him. The most crucial days are the days we don't want to. That is where the miracles happen, that is when victory arrives. The days of defeat, when all is gloomy, when we want nothing but to get through the day. The greatest victory will come out of our greatest defeats. For the one who is born again to the living hope, Jesus Christ, every difficulty and defeat becomes an opportunity for victory, and victory is a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment