Monday, March 5, 2018

The Message

1 John 1:5-7


NKJV
“This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.”

The message. Messages are so easy to believe outside the word of God. Whether a text message, a letter, an email, or even the account of an event that a friend experienced. The truth and messages that come through those are so easily believed, and can change our lives at the reading of a single sentence. Yet this most important Message sent by God is so easily doubted. Often times I read the Word and it doesn’t hit me like a text message could, which is quite sad, but a sad reality for many followers of Christ. The Word is alive and active, and does penetrate, but there is always an oppression and resistance present within our own hearts. The Word of God is not walled, our hearts are. Even the times I ask God to take the walls down, I can still walk away from my devotional being aware of walls that still stand. Yet I press on, for by my God I can leap over a wall. I will choose to believe the Word which has proved true before, rather than let current experience determine my hope for the future. God is light and God is truth. The light will shine in the darkness and the darkness will not comprehend it. It will dissolve the walls into nothing. One thing I cannot control or choose though, is when God will say “Let there be light.” Until then, I must wait patiently for God and ‘practice the truth’. Walking in the light, in Christ, the light of the world. I can't put a basket over the lamp that the Lord has lit in me. Its not my right to, yet so often I will have the audacity and pride to do so. The Spirit can tug and pull and guide my heart towards walking in the light around those who walk in darkness, yet out of fear I shrink back and hold back. God hasn't given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind. Any time I find myself in fear I need to step back and come back to the God of confidence, who is strong and mighty in battle. I can’t afford to live a life of compromise, when I was bought by One who didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment