Thursday, February 22, 2018

Become All Things To All Men

1 Corinthians 9:22

NKJV
“To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.”

What a timely verse this is in light of the Perspectives article we just read about adapting the Gospel to suit the culture of others. Not to say that we change the content of the Gospel, but we share it in such a way that they will be able to receive it within the context of their culture. And God fully supports it! As IGNITE alumni and leaders have shared of their past experiences, becoming ingrained in the culture I am going to enter is crucial to building relationship and leading people to Jesus. This doesn't just carry over into continental/country-specific cultures either, it carries into my home, my work, my friend groups and so on. Just as Philip met the Ethiopian Eunuch where he was at personally, I need to learn how to meet others where they are. At the time I didn't think I was, but looking back there was certainly instances of forcing the gospel down throats rather than sitting them down and getting to know their appetite and what they could handle. I should have found out what meal was next for them and not trying to feed them a three-course dinner when they’ve yet to have their morning coffee. I will meet people in vastly different stages of life and if I ever want to win a single soul, being able to come to their level and minister to them there is crucial. It not only provides an example of humility, but displays the love of Christ which will go to the depths of hell to rescue the one that left the hundred. There are friends and family who I know need Christ. I feel the tendency to want to go and save them all at once but I’m learning that each one has different timing and I need to understand where they’re at before I can come to them and introduce Christ. Jesus met them all where they were at, whether it be the woman at the well, to the paralytic, to the rich young ruler. He knew where each one was and what they needed and supplied the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment