Thursday, February 1, 2018

Unexpected Storms

Matthew 8:22-25

"Now it happened, on a certain day, that He got into a boat with His disciples. And He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side of the lake.” And they launched out. But as they sailed He fell asleep. And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with  water, and were in jeopardy. And they came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!” Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was a calm. But He said to them, “Where is your faith?” And they were afraid, and marveled, saying to one another, “Who can this be? For He commands even the winds and water, and they obey Him!”


The first words of this passage are ‘now it happened on a certain day’ This speaks volumes about how truly spontaneous our lives can be. One day we can be working miracles, on spiritual highs, having thousands of people turning to Jesus, turning water to wine, etc. And then just like that, on something as innocent as a trip across a lake, can turn to a disaster; if we aren't prepared for it. I’m sure the disciples weren’t expecting a raging storm to come out of nowhere, which explains their obvious despair and utter sense of helplessness when it arrived. Many would look at this and say “the disciples faith was weak” as a result of Jesus asking them about their faith. But something else is going on here. Their first reaction is helplessness and they cry out to Jesus. The disciples are being an example of how to live our own lives! Our first move should always be to jump straight to Jesus, because we know that He has to solution to every storm that comes our way, every mountain we can't climb, every sea we cant get across. When I’m in despair, it should be natural for me first to go to Jesus, crying out for His help. For those unexpected changes of plans in our days, or injuries, or that edgy text that brings a flood of negative emotions, and even when we don't feel God near, He is always right there with us. He may be sleeping but He loves us, and will always be quick to come to the rescue when we call upon Him. That doesn't mean our trial would be over, but He will surely give us peace and strength to endure the storm if He allows it to persist. How else would I learn to cling to Christ if He didn't sometimes allow the storm to rage on? I can be confident He will always comfort me, always draw near to me, always give me what I need when I cry out to Him in the midst of the storm. I’m reminded of just last night when an issue I've had with my neck that has persisted through many seasons flared up again and I was left with a pain that pretty much brought me into another reality. However, I chose to buckle down and get before the Lord and cry out to Him to help me endure, and that He did. He spoke Psalm 46:1, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” and through meditation on His word and prayer, I was able to endure the storm, which He didnt cause to cease, but got me through it until the pain had disappeared later that night. I’m sure it will come again, but I know that the God I cry out to, He answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment