Thursday, February 1, 2018

He Supplies What You Lack

James 1:5

“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”

Ask and you shall receive. You have not because you ask not. You have not because you ask amiss, desiring to spend it on your own pleasures. I look back on my life and laugh at the silly things I once prayed for. I imagine I will look back on the time I wrote this and laugh too at some of the things I prayed for. Once upon a time so many of my prayers would be directed toward my self, toward my own goals and desires. As time passed and those things didn't come to pass I’ve learned to stop praying for many things about myself that doesn't glorify God. Yes, there are still things I pray for that have self interwoven, and I do my best to repent of the ones I do and don't notice. I find so much more satisfaction now in praying for others, intercession, praying for things that will give me what is needed to glorify the Lord. It just so happens that this weeks theme is wisdom, a characteristic so pure and good in the sight of the Lord, if its from above of course. I find as I reflect upon this verse that I truly don't ask enough of the God who desires to pour Himself upon and in me. Whether it be wisdom, love, grace, guidance, strength, endurance, or anything else I need in the moment. I cannot be content with thanking the Lord, praying for others, asking for a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit and then going about my day. I need to be asking God also to pour Himself into my heart, to nourish and prune my own heart and character. What a difference it would make if I entered His presence not just for Him and others, but for myself, to be healed, taught, guided, grown, loved by Him. He LOVES me. But, there's a catch. Just one space later, in verse 6, God speaks this through James “But let him ask in faith.” It all comes down to that. I could ask God all I want but it would all be in vain if I wasn't anchored in faith and having an expectant hope of receiving what I so desire, to reflect the heart of God through the light that shines in me. I pray that the Lord continues to brighten the lamp of my body, the eye, as His love penetrates the layers of my heart I didn't know existed, so that others will look in my eyes and see more Jesus and less me.

No comments:

Post a Comment