Thursday, February 1, 2018

Persistence Brings Deliverance

Mark 10:47-52

"And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, “Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you.” And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus. So Jesus answered and said to him, “What do you want Me to do for you?” The blind man said to Him, “Rabboni, that I may receive my sight.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road."

Passages like this are always difficult for me. Having been a vessel for God to heal others of their pains/sicknesses in the past, and then turning around and needing healing myself and not receiving it, I find myself in rough spots and get bound by disappointment. If someone experiencing the same pain as I can be healed by a prayer of faith, why can’t I? What have I been doing wrong? Do I not have enough faith myself? I would think not, having believed and seen healing before. Of all the passages this week, this one hits home. My physical strength and endurance has always tended to be my greatest weakness, and out of that it spawns unbelief, disappointment, anger, seclusion, and ultimately I will tend to disconnect from God. I can hardly manage to keep myself in the moment once I hit that wall of physical weakness. It makes me all the more in awe of Jesus, how He was able to maintain His connection to the Father when He was so low on strength and was beaten and nailed to a cross. I find myself losing confidence in His word, because I become disappointed when not seeing the results I've seen before and seen in others. However, I know by many other testimonies and proof of His goodness in my life that I MUST be confident in His word. His word is always to be valued higher than my experience. His word is still true, and proves true every day, so I'm doing something wrong, and I cant wait until the Lord reveals to me what it is. I know that just as this beggar cried out persistently, if I do the same, I will see deliverance and find answers sooner or later. Obviously, being human, I prefer sooner.. But its not up to me. What I love most about this passage is this though. “Be of cheer. Rise, He is calling you.” No matter what, I trust that He is calling me, higher and higher. I’m so thankful for a God who hears and a God who does and will supply anything I need. Rise above the weakness, rise above the waves, walk through the fire unburned, slay the giant, kick down the walls, tear down the lies, and stomp the head of the devil with the heel of your foot through the power of His Holy Spirit. The highest part of hell is lower than the lowest part of heaven. God will deliver me from the shackles of physical weakness, and I will be made as strong as Samson by His grace. Edit: As I read over this I see that the answer to wondering what I’m doing wrong, I wrote in the sentence after. I’m not going to God sincerely when I’m in need just as the beggar needed did.

No comments:

Post a Comment