Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Essentials

1 Timothy 6:6-8

NKJV
“Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.”

Godliness, food and clothing. Three utter essentials of life. Those outside the faith would disagree, but Gods word doesn’t care for the disagreements man has. For true life to be experienced, I must learn to love being content with such. Not to say I’m not, for I enjoy simplicity, and I can’t find contentment without simplicity. After living a room smaller than some bathrooms for the past year at home, I now appreciate having things within reach, having things simple and clean and organized. There’s so much I’ve thrown away that all I own can be moved from one place to another with a single car load. And in that, paired with the simplicity of following Christ, I find great contentment. I don't need more, and I don’t need to throw anything else out. I thank God for the simplicity of the gospel in light of my lifestyle now. They pair so well together and I wouldn't want it any other way. God made one way to Him, through the cross of Jesus. Everything I’ll ever need is within reach, just a prayer away, just a verse away, just one moment of humility away. Forgiveness, grace, strength, peace, perseverance, love, and much more. Jesus, the man seated at the right hand of God in heaven, is but a syllable away. His ear is always inclined to my voice, and He’s always prepared to be my refuge and strength in times of trouble. He truly is all that I need. I’m reminded of when Jesus shared how we should store up our treasures in heaven, not on earth, for those things on earth are purely temporal and rust and moth will destroy it all. Why would I ever want to yearn for more material things when I cant bring them with me to heaven? Only the things I do for the kingdom of God will last, and the riches I’ll have in heaven can’t even compare to what I’ll earn in a lifetime. Why try building my life upon the world? That will leave me with a house of straw that will burn when tested with fire. I should focus solely on building His kingdom, doing things for His glory, and in return He will pour out lavishly all things for my enjoyment. God knows the things I enjoy as well and won't neglect to give me opportunity to experience those things this side of heaven, but I must not fix my eyes on earth, but on heaven and His righteousness, and these things will be added upon me. And not only that, but I will discover a house made of gold and precious stones awaiting me in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment