Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Strong Support The Weak

Romans 15:1

NKJV
“We then who are strong ought to bear with the scruples of the weak, and not to please ourselves.”

There were numerous examples of this verse throughout my childhood, and many others as well. When I was too weak and too small to complete a task, someone who was stronger, older, and more experienced would come and help. Whether it be a parent, a teacher or a friend. Teachers especially are examples of this verse, for their life is centered around guiding the weak and underdeveloped into strength, and not to please themselves but to help the students. The pastors and staff here at IGNITE play the same role, but I’m not doing math equations and reading about Shakespeare. I’m growing to become spiritually strong in Christ. God is using those who are strong to bear with my failings and lead me into success and strength. I’ve already had my fair share of conversations centered around the ways I’ve failed. But, succeeding that, I am guided into the right path and now find myself stronger and closer to Christ than I ever thought I’d be. And I’m not done yet. Now, as I’m learning and growing, I’m able to come alongside those who are struggling to bear the things I once carried and help them carry it. I can comfort those who are discomforted with the comfort I’ve received. I can strengthen and encourage the weak through the word of my testimony and point them again to the one who gave me my strength, Jesus. As I look to Christ in the ways I minister to others, deny myself, and pick up my cross, I can say that no ministry is done with the intention of pleasing myself. It has become ingrained in my heart to love helping and watching the weak be helped by the strong. Most often its not being the one to strengthen but to watch others be strengthened by the strong that makes my heart leap in joy. At the same time though, I know there are times where I will pass the weak in fear of not knowing what to say or do to help them bear the weight. I could be related to the Levite or priest who passed by the man who was beaten and bruised and left for dead. I desire so deeply to be the Samaritan man all the time, but I also have my failings in weakness. But, Jesus always comes up behind those failings and strengthens me and gives me grace to carry on, asking and encouraging me to stop for the next man on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment