Thursday, February 1, 2018

Fear of the Lord


Psalm 111:10

"The fear of the Lord  is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His  commandments. His praise endures forever."

The fear of the Lord. As I write that, it is still a mystery to me as to what it consists of. The state of mind that comes along with that is unknown to me, as is expected with not having been enlightened of truth of something. On Mondays class with Pastor Steve we were discussing the grasping of concepts in relation to Calculus and Tozers book and who knows what else we found along the rabbit trail. Now as I read the verse over and reflect on the teaching, I realize the reason it won't fully click is because I haven’t grasped the concept of the fear of the Lord. I find myself now in the midst of a revelation about myself, and I couldn't be in a better place to nurture and grow and stretch it. The Lord wants to strengthen my foundation in Him by giving me understanding of concepts I never knew existed or thought I didn't need to know. Being that God's word is all truth, and this verse is no exception, I find I now have an urgent task to fulfill. To grasp the fear of God so I can grow more fruit, more effectively, especially the fruit of wisdom, and thus glorify God through my life. The NLT says the verse in a slightly different way which gives even greater depth to the importance of the fear of God. It says that it is the very foundation of wisdom. What this shows me is it's not ONLY the faith, or God, or Christ as the cornerstone which makes a solid foundation which can produce everlasting fruits. The fear of the Lord plays just as large of a role as the others. I need to understand this concept, this truth, this surely humbling aspect of my relationship with God. I don't want to waste time building a house with a foundation that isn't solid in every possible aspect, just to have to tear down the walls again to strengthen the foundation. I wouldn't want to build a ministry if I didn't have the core beliefs solid, and in the same way I shouldn't desire to begin building my life (through and with God of course) without first having the foundational, doctrinal, theological truths written on the tablet of my heart and hung upon my neck first.

No comments:

Post a Comment