Thursday, February 15, 2018

Through Suffering

Hebrews 5:8

ESV
Although He was a Son, He learned obedience through what He suffered.

Obedience through suffering. This reminds me first and foremost of parenting. Not only any parenting but that which my parents used on me, especially my mother. She was not afraid to use discipline in the form of a razor strap or a wooden spoon to teach me obedience. My parents wouldn't coddle me up and gently tell me to stop. If they had to ask too many times for me to obey, then the discipline came out. After suffering the consequences of my actions, I can confidently say I learned my lesson and was quick to obey. God has the ability to do the same, seeing as He was the one who created parents in the first place. That's not to say God Himself will come down and smack me upside the head when I continually disobey and get out of line, but He sure will use others to do so. Even my mother was a vessel for Him to teach me obedience. Now as I’ve become older and physical discipline has faded out for me, it now comes in ways much harsher to my pride. The after effects of pain that lasted a couple hours now can last a couple of days as the exhortation or rebuke is worked through and settles in my heart in response to prayer and the word of God. But, on the other end of the pain is true fruits. Lessons are learned, obedience in that area becomes natural, and I’m much more aware of how new sufferings, physical or spiritual, can make me stronger and better. Suffering sucks in the moment. However, I can look to the other side through the lens of Gods promises and see the victory and see the new depth it will create in me. Another aspect is that our adoption to God does not mean we will then never suffer, never be rebuked or exhorted, and never face challenges that want to pull us into darkness. Although we are sons and daughters, Gods love wont allow us to go on being who we were or are. He loves us enough to allow us to be tested by fire. To get burned, to get bruised, to get tossed around a bit, all so that we can then reflect His heart more to those around us, and in turn He is glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment