Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Substance of Things Hoped For

Hebrews 11:1

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

To solely focus on just the single verse would be doing the rest of the chapter a shame. To get the full scope of what God is trying to communicate here we need to also take into accounts the various stories retold here. Faith is much more than belief in God. It's a way of life. The previous chapter quotes how "the just shall live by faith." Without faith we would be lifeless. Without faith it would be impossible to please God. Now that the role of faith is established for this verse, I can unpack what the Lord has showed me about it. Assurance is something we all love to have, and something we all need. But what does it mean to be assured? For myself, it feels like freedom, peace, rest, ease, and ultimately joy. Why be anxious about anything when God is our assurance for everything through faith? He is the hope of hope, which we have direct access to through Jesus. Through faith in Christ, we have full assurance that our hope is anchored. Rooted as a Californian redwood buried deep miles from civilization, that no force of nature could uproot. As I grow with Christ, so my roots dive deeper into the earth. The further into the woods of faith I go, the more lost I become in this great adventure with the Redeemer of my soul. I will never turn back, nor will I ever bring out a compass, because as Psalm 46 says, "He will be our guide, Even to death." (V.14b) So I shall not worry or be dismayed, for my hope is set among the stone of mountain tops, which only the voice of the Lord could melt. As I live by faith, rest assured that mountains will melt, my enemies will crumble, the demons will flee and my heart will burn ever brighter for the King of Kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment